Google

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

1st day in NY, April 18

After telling kids that because they were in the greatest city in the world their right to complain had been revoked, I discovered my camera doesn't work. I'm taking decent photos w/ my phone, but because I can't complain I've decided to console myself with Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream for lunch in the mall at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Mmmm.
Photo-0039 - Twango
(I'm actually not that bleached out by the photograph. I'm really that pale.)

Then Andrew and I wandered around, checking out the shops and also the orchid festival and sale going on one story below street level. Didn't bump into Tina Fey. So sad.
Photo-0029 - Twango

Here's some picks of Rockefeller Center and the gardens beyond:

Photo-0032 - Twango

Photo-0046 - Twango

Photo-0033 - Twango

Photo-0047 - Twango

Here's Richie bein' a goofball. Check out the statue behind him:

Photo-0048 - Twango

Here are picks from our shopping expedition including a visit to FAO Schwartz and the new Apple Store:

Photo-0056 - Twango

Photo-0055 - Twango

Photo-0057 - Twango

Photo-0059 - Twango

Photo-0060 - Twango

Photo-0061 - Twango

(Yes, those are made of Legos)

Photo-0063 - Twango

(That's not. It's a mailbox. With a nerd leaning on it.)

Then we saw a fountain and the edge of the park:

Photo-0066 - Twango

Photo-0067 - Twango

By 2:40 the kids were so tired and slap-happy that some pretty silly things started striking the kids as hilarious. Some laughed at interesting architecture. One was highly amused by an albino pigeon. Kids also appreciated the name of the Frick Museum.

We had some time to kill so we went to the Manhattan Mall on 6th and 33rd. Got Starbury II's. Nice. Saw a store I thought you'd enjoy, Paige. Four stories!

Photo-0008(1) - Twango

We did a lot of shopping before dinner. I think I have Paige and Noah covered now. I did NOT buy this lamp. We saw it at Macy's. It's about five feet tall. It's among the ugliest things I've ever seen in my life, but it would be even worse to own if one lived in a small apartment. Check it out:
Photo-0007(1) - Twango

After mediocre diner at a Hawaiian/ Mexican place we walked down a block to the Empire State Building. We basically flew through the whole series of gates, turn-styles, and long cordoned lines to the elevator and, WEEE, zipped up to the 80th floor. The young woman taking pictures to sell to us totally tried to pick up Scott Summers. "I need to get me one o' them white boyfriends," she told him. "You available?" He said no, but he's now really pleased with the new hat he bought. 6 stories to go.

WEEE.

Here we are. I took lots of pictures all the way around. The lights of the city are just coming on. It's actually great timing. My phone seems to be taking good pics. Disaster averted! Yea!
Photo-0004 - Twango

Photo-0003(2) - Twango

Photo-0002 - Twango

Photo-0001(1) - Twango


Okay, riddle me this, Batman: Why would someone pay $18 to climb 86 stories in the air and then buy $10 pen with their own name on it which doesn't even mention NY or the Empire State Building? Stupid souvenirs I can understand, but a piece of memorabilia which reminds you not of where you've been, but of the fact that you are aware of your own name... I don't get it.

I heard eleven distinct languages on the observation deck. I love this city.

After visiting the tower, but before heading to the hotel, Mr.Witt had to use the restroom. He dashed across the street to a Wendy's. Mr. Tomblin (known to the kids as Mr. T) joked that Mr. Witt would have to buy something to use the restroom. Sure enough, after using the restroom, he was ambushed by employees of the Wendy's who made him buy a Coke. I still love this city.

We made it to our hotel in Saddle Brook, NJ. There were some minor hiccups once we got here (one room wasn't ready so the hotel had to find the girls another room). Everyone was in their rooms by 11:00 and I doubt many kids are conscious right now at midnight. I am having lots of trouble getting pictures to load here, so I'm still up, but I'm going to bed soon. I'll let you all in on the events of tomorrow after some desperately awaited sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to get an update from the Choir during our faculty meeting this morning. The web masters have put a link with a picture on the front page of the chspanthers site so folks can have easy access to your adventures.
Stay safe and have fun.
Mrs. Crevar